Monday, February 11, 2008

The Language Fac


It’s All Talk

An inherent fact about immersing yourself in a language system different from your own is that you begin to think about the importance of language and the value of clear communication. As a person interested in linguistics I have committed much time, not to mention money, thinking and learning about the nature of language. But what we theory is often removed from what practice. So here I am practically practicing my French.

Dan, my fellow UBCer, and I got to talking about language the other night. He mentioned a friend that he has in Montreal who is a true language innovator. The friend is just a regular Joe Blow. Joe works in a video store. But he is a master of language: he is constantly using language creatively; making up new words and combining them in unique ways. Hmm, I thought. I said “ And this Joe, he is a popular guy?” Yea, of course. He has a lot of friends. People in the streets of Montreal are always coming up to him and being like “Hey Joe”.

This got me thinking about language and power. Here is my line of thinking: for me, aside from opposable thumbs and being able to walk upright, language is what distinguishes us fundamentally human beings. Our ability to communicate our deepest, darkest thoughts coherently is the basis of human intelligence. And the sharing of these thoughts has allowed us to evolve to who we are today (iPod wearing, cyber chatting, blogging bloggers). Language constitutes culture. Here’s where the power thing comes in. Forget what expensive university degrees or how much money you make, if you are able to contribute more to your language system by being a language innovator then you are shaping culture. And thus you command more power in your society.

Maybe I’m off track. But to me it makes a bit of sense. Who do we give power to in our countries? Our governments: our Prime Ministers, our presidents, our dictators even. Now think about how much work goes into creating their image through language. They have speechwriters, public speaking coaches, creative propaganda, publicists, hell, the last time I saw Bush speak he was wearing a headpiece so that his behind the scenes think tank could control his every word so that he wouldn’t look stupid. All of this, in the name of propagating a clear and coherent message to the voting public.

If that doesn’t work for you then think about other cultural figureheads. People want to hear quotes from celebrities, for example Paris Hilton with her phrase “That’s hot” or Victoria Beckham with “Major”. Ok that’s a bit of a stretch, you say, and it’s true these people’s fifteen minutes are almost up. But thinking about stars with lasting power: songwriters, movie directors etc. They take their culture filter it and then return it back to the audience in a new way. They have the power. And it’s all about media, media, media. Talk, talk, talk.

Ok so here I am in France. Because my francais is not very good, is it harder for me to affect the culture? Do I have less power here than I have in an English speaking country? Probably. It sure feels like it. I feel like I am adrift on a tide of words. Every day I am hearing and learning new things. I am contributing less but gaining more. Works for me. Although ultimately I don’t know if I could ever live permanently in a country where the language was different from my native language. Maybe.

I’ll leave this unfinished because I’m at a loss for words. C’est tout pour maintenant.

A bientot.

Ex ohKatie

No comments: